This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can see my full disclosure policy here.
Have you heard that DiAnn Mills has a new romantic suspense novel? I am excited to have her back to visit with us again today! DiAnn has set many stories in Houston, and she’s offered to tell us her top five reasons for choosing this setting. But before she does, let’s take a look at her new novel, Deep Extraction.
A bombing at one of Nathan’s oil rigs days earlier indicates his death could be part of a bigger conspiracy, a web Special Agent Tori Templeton must untangle. But her first order of business is separating the personal from the professional—the victim’s wife, her best friend, is one of the FBI’s prime suspects.
Clearing Sally’s name may be the biggest challenge of her career, but Tori finds an unexpected ally in the newest member of the task force, recently reinstated Deputy US Marshal Cole Jeffers. As Tori and Cole dig deeper into Nathan’s personal and business affairs, they uncover more than they bargained for. And the closer they get to finding the real killer—and to each other—the more intent someone is on silencing them for good.
Welcome back, DiAnn! Would you share with us a little about Houston?
Most of my romantic suspense novels are set in Houston. It’s an amazing city filled with interesting people and exciting events. No matter what your interest, we have beautiful parks, excellent colleges and universities, fabulous entertainment, hotels for every budget, restaurants to suit every taste, and mild gulf temperatures.
Who could ask for more?
With all of those traits, it’s easy to see why my stories are set here in my city Houston. But the following are my five top reasons.
1) Houston is home. http://www.houstontx.gov/ I live in the Northwest part of the city. The landscape is flat with many pine trees. We occasionally have a freeze in the winter, but we are known for our humidity and three digit temps in summer. Of course, there’s no snow to shovel in the winter.
2) I can experience the setting with my characters. This is an incredible advantage. Through distinct characters, I can imagine their reactions and responses to where they are moving through a story. I believe my readers should expect an adventure with my stories. This means allowing them to experience the same journey as my characters.
3) The most diversified city in the US. With this distinction, the many cultures are an identifying factor. The element of uniqueness offers a range of story ideas and beliefs that builds plot with distinctive characters.
4) Houston is the fourth largest city in the US. Whenever people are placed in close proximity, there’s an opportunity to learn culture and enhance a community. The more people, the more the community can come together for the betterment of the area.
5) I’ve been fortunate to forge a relationship with Houston’s FBI. The brave men and women who keep our city safe also want the public to be aware of how they can help keep their communities free from crime through partnering with law enforcement. The FBI is a resource for accuracy in my suspense novels with FBI characters. As a result, many of these people have become friends. I’m a member of the Houston Citizens Academy and value my membership and responsibility to the organization.
Setting a story is much the same as developing a character. Strengths, weaknesses, flaws, and achievements provide an element of intrigue, and Houston is the perfect city to ensure my stories are fresh.
Your turn! Do you have a favorite city where you enjoy a story setting?
More about DiAnn:
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. She combines unforgettable characters with unpredictable plots to create action-packed, suspense-filled novels.
Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awards; and been finalists for the RITA, Daphne Du Maurier, Inspirational Readers’ Choice, and Carol award contests. Firewall, the first book in her Houston: FBI series, was listed by Library Journal as one of the best Christian Fiction books of 2014.
DiAnn is a founding board member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, a member of Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, Sisters in Crime, and International Thriller Writers. She is co-director of The Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference with social media specialist Edie Melson where she continues her passion of helping other writers be successful. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country.
DiAnn has been termed a coffee snob and roasts her own coffee beans. She’s an avid reader, loves to cook, and believes her grandchildren are the smartest kids in the universe. She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas.
DiAnn is very active online and would love to connect with readers on Facebook: www.facebook.com/diannmills, Twitter: https://twitter.com/diannmills or any of the social media platforms listed at www.diannmills.com.
‘Deep Extraction’ Giveaway:
DiAnn has generously offered to give away either a paperback or e-copy (winner’s choice!) of Deep Extraction. Giveaways are subject to the Giveaway Policy.