This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. You can see my full disclosure policy here.
We’re visiting with Lisa Belcastro today about her Christmas story, A Shenandoah Family Christmas. Before we hear from Lisa (and peek at an excerpt from the book!), here’s a quick summary.
Disease, freezing temperatures, and the Revolutionary War bring bitter reality to the Reed home in December 1777. Captain Benjamin Reed is ordered to sail a supply shipment south to General George Washington. Days before Shenandoah’s scheduled departure, Ben’s first mate succumbs to smallpox.
Rebecca Reed had never feared the dreaded disease until her one-year-old daughter Felicity breaks out in the telltale rash. In the cold, dark days of Advent, Rebecca, Ben, and the Reed family wait in prayerful hope as Felicity fights for her life and they wonder who could be next.
With the rest of the family at risk, they decide to obtain the forbidden cowpox vaccine. Ben’s brother Jonah, his uncle Isaiah, and Shenandoah’s cook Adam Greene venture off in search of the outlawed vaccine. A blizzard hits. A tree crashes. Jonah crumbles to the ground. A woman with the face of an angel aids Jonah, but is it too late? And where are Adam and Isaiah?
As the death toll rises throughout the Colonies, the Reed family prays for more than one Christmas miracle.
Lisa offered to share some of her favorite things with you today. Here are Lisa’s Top Ten:
- Favourite quote: Attitude by Charles Swindoll: “The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past… we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude… I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.”
- Favourite book: The Traveler’s Gift by Andy Andrews. I read this book at least twice a year. Five times would not be unheard of.
- Favourite dessert: Chocolate
- Favourite flower: Lilacs, though Rosa Rugosa and Peonies are close behind
- Favourite season: Summer! I love heat, and sunshine, and going to the beach, and warm nights. Did I mention I like to be warm??
- Favourite musical: This is a tie: “Aida” and “Wicked”. I LOVE them both!!
- Favourite country you want to visit: Greece! I took two of my girls as their high school graduation present. It was one of our best family vacations. We’d all like to go back again. Hopefully one day.
- Favourite Restaurant: Chescas – on Martha’s Vineyard
- Favourite author: Did you really ask this question? I have soooooo many! If I had to, absolutely had to, narrow my selection down to one author, then it would be C.S. Lewis.
- Favourite holiday: Christmas! I start playing my Christmas CDs the day after Thanksgiving, and all my decorations go up. I love the celebration of Christ’s birthday. I avoid malls and shopping and excessive gift giving. I do my best to immerse myself in the joyous celebration of the greatest gift of all – God’s love for us.
Lisa also offered to give us a sneak peek inside the story! You’ll find an excerpt from A Shenandoah Family Christmas here.
More about Lisa:
Lisa Belcastro lives with her family on Martha’s Vineyard. She loves time with her family and friends, running, gardening, outdoor activities, cooking, chocolate, reading, traveling, a healthy dose of adventure, and her cat, Ben, who keeps her company while she creates fictional lives for the numerous characters living inside her head.
Lisa runs as an ambassador for TEAM 413 (www.team413.org), and has completed a marathon (26.2 miles) in all fifty states.
Lisa’s stories are set on the Vineyard amidst the magnificence of the ocean, the beauty of sandy beaches, rolling hills, and ancient cliffs, as well as the people and events that make the Island so very unique.
When she’s not at her desk, Lisa is living in paradise, volunteering at her daughter’s school, serving in her church community, planting and weeding her numerous gardens, training to run the Walt Disney World Dopey Challenge in January 2016, walking the beach looking for sea glass, or enjoying a great meal while she pens the cuisine column for Vineyard Style Magazine.
You can connect with Lisa online:
A Shenandoah Family Christmas Blog Tour
December 16–Fiction, Faith, and Fun
December 17–Bookworm Lisa | Reading Is My SuperPower
December 18–Captive Dreams Window
December 19–Crystal’s Chaotic Confessions
December 20–Katie’s Clean Book Collection
December 21–Mel’s Shelves | Singing Librarian Books
December 22–Anna Weaver Hurtt, Inspirational Author | Red Headed Book Lady